Sunday, January 28, 2007

Mystery Animal from yesterday...

We are pretty sure this guy is a beaver. He looks rather squat, and in a couple of spots, he seems to have a flat, rounded tail. I was standing about 15 feet away, being quiet to shoot some video, so he must not have noticed me or considered me a threat.
He was quite a fast swimmer, and when I raised my voice to confer with Ken, he dove under water, and hid under an ice shelf for at least 2 minutes. I gave up the photo hunt, and walked back up the bank, and handed the camera to Ken. He shot a few more pictures, and as he walked back to the car, I saw over his shoulder, the beaver, coming out of hiding, so gestured furiously.
Ken managed to snap a few more shots (the one posted below is one of his, as it this one), which I think came out very cool, because you can actually see his "wake" as he swims! Like I said, he moved pretty fast, which made photographing him a bit tricky! Still ... we agreed it was our highlight of the day. I've never seen a beaver (or otter, if I'm wrong!) in the wild ... and it's been ages since I saw a beaver in a zoo. I have seen otters, though, at Brookfield, fairly recently, and I remember them being much sleeker. I've been told that the otter is my totem animal. I can see that! :)

6 comments:

Guinevere said...

Fantastic photos Suzanne seems like it was a great day for you both.

Georgia said...

Now that I see the other photos, it is definitely a beaver. How cool! Not very often you can get a shot like that of a wild animal. Good job!!!

Paula J Atkinson said...

beautiful photos

Jenny said...

My immediate thought was that it was a beaver. How lucky you are. Great photo opportunity.

kathy welsh said...

thanks for commenting on my blog! Fabulous photos..I'll be moving in the spring to a nature-filled environment like the one you're in and I can't wait!

kaj said...

Otters are much smaller than beavers. I think it is a beaver......or an alligator!