Sunday, July 6, 2008

Review: What Terrorists Want: Understanding the Enemy, Containing the Threat

What Terrorists Want: Understanding the Enemy, Containing the Threat What Terrorists Want: Understanding the Enemy, Containing the Threat by Louise Richardson


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I was actually highly impressed with this book, and that's strong praise considering it's one that typically I would not seek out. I would have to say my understanding of terrorism has expanded by a factor of 5, thanks to this book, both from a psychological and a political perspective. I found it a thoughtful read, and noticed, in the wake of reading it, that much of the world's news makes even more sense to me. I wish I had better words to describe my reaction, but this type of book is so far outside my typical arena, thoughts fail me. If you have an opportunity to borrow a copy of this book, I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting a better insight into how terrorists operate, why various nations struggle to contain them, and what we can do to limit the effectiveness of terrorism as a tactic.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that is a heavy subject. you are brave to read about it. stuff like that just makes me more nervous but I can see how it would be good to read anyways...

Connie Carpenter Macko said...

Very interesting! Thanks for linking to the goodreads site... I've noted your reviews before, but this is the first time I hit the link - awesome concept!

I may need to watch for this book at the library... I've often thought that although I don't approve of their actions - there is usually a decent reason for some folks to rebel... evil terrorist vs nobel warrior - depends on perspective? hmm... wonder what the book says!