Saturday, November 10, 2007

My Wellness Journey

I'm working my way through a class at Big Picture Scrapbooking called My Wellness Journey. It's a way to combine scrapbooking with improving health/fitness/diet type stuff. I like it, because it's (a) fun (b) keeping me accountable and (c) challenging me. Even though my average week consists of 4 cardio (30-45 min) workouts, 1 sword class (2 hrs), 1 tai chi workout (2 hrs), 1 fitness class workout (1 hr), and 1 yoga class (1 hr), there's still some room for improvement. So, I am
- adding in more strength training. I find this kind of thing to be inordinately dull. Thank goodness for my iPod.
- adding whole grains into my diet. I've already been eating less white bread ... but I am still a fan of simple carbohydrates. Give me time. Oh, Lord ... give me strength!
- increasing AND varying my fruits and veggies. I'm trying to "eat a rainbow a day". This is much harder than I thought it would be. I apparently eat very few brightly colored foods.
When I try to balance out my workout times with my food intake (calories) and my portion sizes and more whole grains and diverse foods ... well, it is a challenge all right. It's hard to keep everything in balance. But I am trying. I really really am. And the other big change? An official day of rest. You heard me right. Normally, I do not rest. On days when I am not working out, I feel like I am slacking, cheating, not doing the 'right' thing. Now, I'm giving myself permission to REST. Strange concept. I liked it last week, though. A lot. *grin*

6 comments:

Jeff B said...

I feel like I've burned a few calories just reading about your workout schedule!

Balance, moderation and persistance are words that come to mind.

A day of rest is a hard one for me too.

katherine. said...

a sword class?

Mel said...

A day of rest.....

Well now THERE'S a new and innovative idea. LOL

Himself has an iPod. I like to make circles on the dial thingy and watch the thingies inside flash around.

Juliann in WA said...

Hi there - thought I would visit your blog and see what else you are up to besides Wellness. Fun stuff.

Rachel said...

Yes it is definitely a challenge to keep this wellness going!! Good luck to you....

Kim Winter said...

I am so excited to know that you are in the Wellness class at BPS as well as Shimelle's class. Your Christmas journal is adorable and so much more complete than mine! lol. I only completed three pages last year! lol.