Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Walking my own path

Okay, so as of January, I'm a card-carrying member of the Chicago Swordplay Guild. Or I would be, if they actually gave me a card. Instead, I wear this awesome green shirt with the guild logo emblazoned on it. I'm a "green shirt," and it fills me with a sense of pride. On to the part that is driving me crazy. I am at the absolute bottom rung of the whole she-bang. Everyone else (a) has martial arts experience (b) has 3+ years sword experience and/or (c) is at least 10 years younger than I am. So, they're all quicker, more experienced, and more resilient. I am trying hard not to be a crybaby, but, man ... I do not like getting injured at all. I feel every bruise and minor injury keenly. Then again, they appear to laugh off the injuries as badges of honor. I think I'd rather make it into old age without permanently losing feeling in an extremity, requiring surgery, having muscles separate from bones, severing tendons, getting stabbed in a kidney (did I mention they all carry folding knives?), bruising bones, getting an injury that requires stitches, or explaining the origin of bite marks. I really want to learn medieval long sword as a martial art, and I understand it involves getting whacked occasionally ... but, damn. I've got to find my own path, where I can enjoy what I'm doing, be able to learn, but also be able to sleep at night because I'm not waking up in pain!

6 comments:

Chiara said...

oh hugs I know you will get on the right path. Thinking of you

Dalovely Damanda said...

aww, man! that's gotta be hard! If you love it, keep it up! Just do the best you can do and wear that green shirt with pride...you've earned it!

Mel said...

I feel your pain....

Honestly. My path parallels others paths, but it's still MY path.
LOL......getting older is a gift to be treasured, I'm told.

<---willing to be grateful but reserving the right to kvetch!

Debbie Clarke said...

Hi there! I'm sending out paperdolls, found your emails, but no address. please send your address to me at elli01930@yahoo.com
thanks,
deb.

Connie Carpenter Macko said...

What an incredibly interesting thing to be doing! ...You must remember one thing: theoretically older means wiser and more patient right? wait for your opportunity and SEIZE it. Most of all have fun, and may a massage be in your future!

marge said...

I am so proud of you. Wear your green and be proud.