Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dear Birthmother: Thank You for Our Baby Dear Birthmother: Thank You for Our Baby by Kathleen Silber


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book was recommended to me as a "classic" in adoption literature, and I would have to concur with this assessment. Originally written in the early 80's, when open adoption was an extreme rarity, the book does a great job of alternating anecdotal information with letters between birthparents, adoptive parents, and adoptees. It gives a great glimpse into some of the myths and fears held by various segments of society & talks about how to overcome them. I would strongly encourage anyone involved in the adoption process whether directly or indirectly to read this & better understand how the relationships between birthparents, adoptive parents, and adoptees change over time & what role "openness" has on those evolutions!


View all my reviews.

No comments: