Well, the good news is I was able to save the most important files off my computer. The bad news is that I have lost:
1) about 75 photos ... none of them vital.
2) about 1,000 songs ... about 300 of them difficult or impossible to replace, like "Miss You" by Kevin Smith* (a former gaming buddy), The a la Menthe (from Ocean's 12 ... and here I made a copy of Jori, but not for me), Terrible Mr. G (although there may be a copy floating around somewhere I can poach), and PaxilBack. Oh, so many songs I'll miss!
3) the most recent revision of Oh, Scrap. I really hope my business partner has a copy on his drive.
4) our Dear Birthmother letter. Only an issue if our profiles go astray when they're mailed from the branch office to the main office this week. Keep your fingers crossed, kids.
5) a master file with addresses I use for work stuff. Annoying, but I can reproduce it, eventually.
6) another master file with addresses. Same as above.
I keep going to access things & I realize they're not there. Thank goodness I was able to synch my handheld PDA with all of my Outlook contacts & calendar!!!
*update#1! I found Kevin's website!
And also realized I've lost this stuff:
7) Telemarketer Prank, by Tom Mabe
8) our master packing lists for various trips, one of which I'd just updated on Sunday
9) Our Dear Birthmother letter (thank goodness our adoption specialist saved a copy, which she just sent to me Friday morning)
10) Fonts. Many many many fonts are gone. It is so sad. But my one handwriting font, which a friend did for me about 5 years ago was on an ancient hotmail account of mine, so I was able to retrieve it.