Monday, December 22, 2008

Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions by Neil Gaiman


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Wow. I have to say that just about every story in this collection was highly engaging, and I had strong emotional reactions to several of them, and many "gotcha" type moments. Gaiman is, indeed, a master storyteller. Some of my favorite bits, without giving too much away for those of you who need to add this to your "to read" stack:

- the sad workings of Peter's mind in "We Can Get Them For You Wholesale"
- the explanation of those who've spurned "The Sweeper of Dreams"
- the evolution of perceived morality in "Changes"
- the mundane conversational aspects of "Tastings"
- the story embedded within the story of "Murder Mysteries"

I would like to say that this is a wonderful book to have on one's nightstand, to read a short story before bedtime, but I can't say that. Many of the stories (Don't Ask Jack, The White Road, and Snow,Glass,Apples in particular) were downright emotionally disturbing. Good, but disturbing. Don't Ask Jack actually generated a nightmare! *shudder* Great job, Gaiman. *wink*


View all my reviews.

No comments: