Thursday, July 26, 2007

the definition of "friend"

friend [frend] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2.a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony.
3.a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile: Who goes there? Friend or foe?
4.a member of the same nation, party, etc.
5. a person who notices you looking longingly at their shiny, new copy of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows on Saturday and goes out of their way to email you on Wednesday to tell you that she's done with the book & would be happy to loan it to you while you're on your upcoming tropical beach vacation.
6.(initial capital letter) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker.
–verb (used with object)
7.Rare. to befriend.
8.make friends with, to enter into friendly relations with; become a friend to.


[Origin: bef. 900; ME friend, frend, OE fréond friend, lover, relative (c. OS friund, OHG friunt (G Freund), Goth frijōnds), orig. prp. of fréogan, c. Goth frijōn to love]

8 comments:

Eleni Gratsia said...

It's been a while since I checked in to seehow you are doing!!! Nice of your friend to loan you the book. I have mine but am rereading the whole series from the beginning to refresh my memory!!!

Mel said...

Gosh..where HAVE I seen that book before? LOL

What a nice friend you have.

~Nancy~ said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! So sweet! Totally love your blog too! And euhm.. love Harry Potter.. hehe.. XOXO

Cheryl Wray said...

Love it!!!!
Nothing better than a friend who loves books with you!!! My bff is a librarian and reads all the time and is always giving me great recommendations!
And HP7 was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!

Chiara said...

so did you read it yet. I love that book but am so sad it is over.

Heather said...

you make me laugh Suzanne!

Dalovely Damanda said...

awww, what a nice friend

Latharia said...

I finished it yesterday afternoon.

GREAT!

I refuse to divulge anything else!