Sunday, March 25, 2007

Cutting myself some slack

Saturday's Quote from A Fancy Word for Simple:

Love is saying "I feel differently" instead of, "You're Wrong".

Ah, this is so true. I would go further and say that love is remembering to say that, and being able to choke it out, instead of taking the easy route & lashing out. Love can be an awful lot of work, sometimes. When we're hurt or when we feel attacked, it's all too easy to lash out. Quite the effective shortcut, venting our anger and also pushing the other person away so we don't have to feel vulnerable. When I have the ability to do the truly loving gestures, I feel very good about myself ... and I wish I had that ability 24/7, but it just isn't so. Luckily, I have a life-partner who has the capacity to forgive & to cut me some slack once in a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! I also have a life partner that can forgive and cut me slack too *wink*

Mel said...

Himself and I don't argue--haven't.....'cept for the 'steakknife cutting sod'. I think I'm either getting over myself NEEDING to be right, or I'm --just right all the time? LOL

Wanna hope it's the first case and not the second--cuz the second even scares ME!