Saturday, March 17, 2007

One "Life Machine" Free to a Good Home

Thursday's Quote from A Fancy Word for Simple:

“Life Machine: This is a machine that takes your life and does all the hard parts and leaves you all the parts you enjoy and almost everyone discovers they’re not the parts you’d think they were at first glance.”

-Story People / Brian Andreas

Yes, this is from a couple of days ago.The quote is quite apropos, because I have been having an extraordinarily busy life these past few days. In fact, as friends ask about availability, I am realizing just how full my schedule is. For example, I have tentative (and sometimes definite) plans every weekend through Mothers' Day. If you note the fact that we will certainly do SOMEthing with one or both of our mothers, then even that is a "tentative" plan, which means my next "free" (or as Karen would put it "jammie") weekend would be the first weekend in June. Yes, June. And it's only halfway through March. The kinds of things that are keeping me busy are all wonderful things ... both for myself and for my loved ones ... so I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to wrap my head about this Rubik's cube life I've suddenly fostered. If I had a "Life Machine" I don't know how much I'd actually be willing to surrender. It's similar to the movie "Click," which got some horrible ratings, but did deliver a poignant overall message: you cannot skip past the hard parts in life, because they are vitally connected to all the important parts, too. I might let the "Life Machine" have a good chunk of the cleaning -- definitely the litter box -- in my home, but there's a certain amount of satisfaction and comforting ritual in doing dishes & laundry, for me. I don't think I'd want to lose the sense of accomplishment of paying off a bill in full ... the sense of excitement of digging out decorations from the crawlspace under the stair ... or the sense of righteousness of pulling weeds out from the rosebed, so the roses can shine through. So, if I ever get a "Life Machine," I'll let you all know -- someone else can have it.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Ah, well, I'm with you. So it'd be best if that 'Life Machine' got re-gifted in a different direction.

Perhaps to someone who's yet to learn about the journey's value?

But if you ever stumble across a litter box cleaning machine....LOL