Thursday, April 5, 2007

Craftswoman!

"The woman who works
with her hands only
is a laborer.

The woman who works
with her hands and her
head is a craftswoman.

The woman who works
with her hands,
her head and her heart
is an artist."

---St. Francis of Assisi

I have often wondered about the difference between arts and crafts. When I think of crafts, I think of popsicle sticks and straws and yarn. When I think of art, I think of museums & sculptures. I'm not sure where my scrapbooking falls into that spectrum! When, however, the idea of "craftsman" is put in front of me, I realize that crafts are not all that bad. It can be a sign of tender loving care. I know both of my parents put lots of energy and thought into their quilting and woodworking, and my brother does the same with his jewelry-making. So, in the end, I think I am more of a craftswoman than artist, and I am just fine with that!

3 comments:

Guinevere said...

I think that sounds like a great title - my DH is a craftsman in his work - something I only found out when I saw his work scattered round my island home. And yes it does show care - so I'm sure you will be a great craftswoman!

kaj said...

I love that quote. And how curious that it was St. Francis of Assisi that said it.

Mel said...

Isn't it funny how we know which we're operating out of.
During the course of a day, I'm all of the above.
But time gets lost when it's the artist at work--I love that feeling.