Monday, April 23, 2007

I don't know

It's not often I feel stupid, but when it happens, it's helpful for me to remember:

He who knows best knows how little he knows. -- Thomas Jefferson.

We have our limits, our bounds. I was discussing with my sweetie last week about how expertise factors into trust, and I think that's why I really dislike feeling stupid. I like to feel that I know enough about a lot of things that people can trust what I have to say, and can trust that I know what I'm doing. I suppose it's another kind of trust altogether to be able to admit that I don't know something, isn't it?

1 comment:

Mel said...

Interestingly enough, it's a conversation that I was engaged in last week--this 'fear of looking stupid' goes in multiple directions for me.

Even though *I* know how little I know, there's still that fear jazz.