Wednesday, April 18, 2007

weeds vs. flowers

I recently commented that my dear friend kaj's daughter was "growing like a weed". She said that her daughter preferred "growing like a flower." So this quote:

Where man sees but withered leaves, God sees sweet flowers growing. ~Albert Laighton

brought to mind the age old adage that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I don't see anything wrong with weeds. Some weeds are just incredibly beautiful. And they're almost always incredibly adaptive and strong willed. Just as spiders, lady bugs, and mice do not belong indoors, weeds don't belong in my flower beds. So, I will pull them out, and try to exert my will on that tiny corner of the world. I have a sneaking suspicion kaj's daughter truly is a beautiful weed. I think that within a matter of years, she will have found herself a wonderful wild piece of nature in which to throw down roots, adapt, and show us all just how beautiful she is.

2 comments:

Paula J Atkinson said...

A weed is just a flower in the wrong place..

I am trained in horticulture & this was drilled into us.
I believe it is true as many wildflowers are treated like weeds.

crazierinreallife said...

i am sure she will.... after meeting her last summer i only expect big and beautiful things for her