Monday, February 19, 2007

Putting on a happy face .... not!

Today's quote for a A Fancy Word for Simple:

I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.

-Martha Washington

This is an interesting quote. I love the feel of self-determination, of a woman who is bound to have a good time, even if the world is falling apart around her ears. On the flip side, I know many people who are unhappy, and that unhappiness is a vital signal to prompt them to take charge of their lives and make a change. I think I'd rather feel some sense of misery or unhappiness, if it meant that I had my fingers on the pulse of my own life. I wouldn't say wallowing in such feelings is very helpful, but just putting a happy face on things when life REALLY isn't going well and desperately needs your attention, well, that's just ridiculous!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Point well taken--was a time that misery was required for me to 'move' and do different. It's kinda cool to wake up and know what's not a part of who I am and not buy into it without surrendering my happiness.
Now--if I could JUST do that perfectly!! LOL

Have a grand Tuesday!