Monday, February 12, 2007

Roll up your shirt-sleeves!

Today's Quote from A Fancy Word for Simple:

Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them. --Ann Landers

I embrace this idea whole-heartedly! I've had to work pretty hard to get where I am, and I don't feel one jot of guilt that I rest on my laurels occasionally. It frustrates me to no end to hear people complaining about how they have no options. We ALWAYS have options. They may not be options that are very fun, or are easy...and sometimes they all just suck. But if you can take the long range view, sometimes a lousy option now will turn into the best thing you could ever hope for. I do not know where people got the idea that life is supposed to be easy, and things are supposed to fall into your lap. I try to avoid people that have this perspective, and I hang out with (and work with) people who are willing to roll up their shirt-sleeves and apply themselves!

4 comments:

Georgia said...

Yeah....someone who agrees with me! I do not like to be around people who keep feeling sorry for themselves and want to blame their lives on someone or something else. Like your attitude!!!

kaj said...

Mmmm. Hello. Lots of hard work here! Whew! Guess I ought to roll up my sleeves and get on that hamster cage.

scrapperjen said...

Thank you for that outlook on options - it is true! I will try to be more positive.
Great quote!

Mel said...

YIPPEE for hard work and choosing our attitudes!

(okay......so I don't do that perfectly--but it's the way I generally operate)

I like that I get to choose and that the lesser of the worstest of options isn't always what it appears.
*scratching head*
Was that English? LOL