Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mindlessness? No thank you!

Today's Question from A Fancy Word for Simple:

"What small and quirky habits, routines, and rituals have you developed over time?"

I observed myself throughout the day, and did a lot of thinking on this subject as I was driving. The only routine I can come up with is that I lock my car door when I get into it. Seriously. Everything else is up for grabs. I usually brush my teeth after I put in my contacts, but not always. I generally shower (okay, I always shower after a workout) at some point in the day, but if I'm at home on the weekend, that's not always the case! I really don't have much in the way of typical! And that is fine with me. I was talking with my tai chi instructor about this -- the idea that there are no good habits. The concept is this: Things that we do without thinking, without purpose, without mindfulness, are inherently problematic. If we do something mindlessly, we are not actively engaged, we are not paying attention. In life, I believe we should be paying attention, so if that means I don't have many habits, I rejoice in that fact!

3 comments:

Paula J Atkinson said...

I think some of these could well make it into your confessions book!!
I got mine made & then realised there were more I could add.
Looks like a "Confessions Part 2" will be on the cards!!! or add update pages to this one!!

Chiara said...

lol I do nothing quirky at least to me.

kaj said...

Floss, Susanne. I did not see the word floss in there! LOL!