Thursday, January 25, 2007

not 1, not 2, but all FIVE senses!

Today's Quote from A Fancy Word for Simple:

I have often thought it would be a blessing if each human being were stricken blind and deaf for a few days during their early adult life. Darkness would make them more appreciative of sight; silence would teach them the joys of sound.

-Helen Keller

Today, I tried to cue into sight and sound ... and found myself tuning into
ALL of my senses. Here are some things I noticed throughout the day...

Sight: the glare off my windshield made my eyes tear up, most cars have salt crap on them now, my flowers are beginning to wilt after 10 days, wood paneling ran amok in the restaurant where I had lunch with Kim, the cover of the book I read today doesn't resemble any of the interior story, Office Depot makes it hard to figure out which items are on sale by matching up the SKU numbers.
Sound: silence is rare, one of my dance songs has an ambulance siren in the background, all of our cats' meows are different from each other, my (13 1/2 year old) car is sounding rougher than it used to, my computer's strange noise upon start up is shorter than it was, Office Depot's store jingle annoys me
Touch: the bottoms of my slippers are lumpy, I love the way fleece feels on my skin, fish really is incredibly slimy, spices stick grainily to damp fingertips, my lip balm makes my lips sizzle with mint

Scent: My new Trader Joe's citrus shampoo & conditioner makes me go ZING!, I am stinky after the gym, brownies that smell chocolatey can still be an incredible dud, raw fish is stinky & wrappings should be put in the outside garbage can right after removal
Taste: When I wear my lip balm I taste mint, those chocolate chip cookies at Connie's Pizza really were worth the calories, Braeburn apples have a snap and flavor I really like, dark chocolate M&M's seem very intense to my taste buds, and Cilantro-Lemon-Paprika butter is truly divine on fish.


I know this last piece because I just made a wonderful dish from Cooking Light. Ken is raving about how tasty it is! It was also super-simple. If you think you might like it, do a search on their website for Skillet Fillets with Cilantro Butter. We ate it with green beans, so there's a whopping 270 calories or so in this meal. Yummy, light, and good-for-you-fish!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love your perspective. All of the little things you don't realize in every day life. Your dinner looks yummy by the way!

*Paula* said...

I love how you kept track of things you noticed during the day - great idea!

kaj said...

Sight: Hamster pee is not clear yellow.
Smell: Hamster pee is smelly.
Touch: Hamster pee is wet.
HEaring: Hamsters don't make a sound when they pee.
Taste: .....ummmmmmm. Not going there.