Sunday, January 7, 2007

Treasuring the spare moments in life

Sunday, January 7, 2007: From A Fancy Word for Simple

Day 7: 1.7.07 (Sunday)

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday seems like a good day to think about "spare moments." After all, isn't it supposed to be a day filled with them? When I started to think about my "spare moments," I realized two things. One, I waste a lot of moments just sitting on the couch or staring at the computer. Two, the "spare moments" that I use are some of my favorite times of the day--the times when there isn't anything planned and life just kind of happens.

What role do "spare moments" spend in your life?

There was a time in my life where I had no "spare moments". Everything was crammed in right beside something else. There was no room to breathe or to just "be". I now have lots of spare moments, floating around throughout my day. Sometimes I make "good use" of them, sometimes I just delight in the fact that they exist, taking the opportunity to breathe deep or listen to music or just gaze at one of our cats adoringly. Having had a time in my life where there were no moments to spare, I do, indeed, treasure the ones I have now!

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hooray for spare moments. I'm off to enjoy some now!

Eleni Gratsia said...

Princess Latharia I had quite a giggle with your icon at the bottom, most fitting!!!