Saturday, January 13, 2007

a rather fat greyhound

Today's quote from A Fancy Word for Simple:

If one is a greyhound, why try to look like a Pekingese?

-Dame Edith Sitwell

I'll admit it, I'll never look like a Pekingese. I'm a greyhound. A rather fat greyhound, but a greyhound nonetheless. And it took me years to accept my body with all of its curves and rounded bits. I'd still like to change some of it, but I know even if I halved my weight, I'd still be a solid and curvy woman, and I'm fine with those essential elements. I am also the only woman I know who is inordinately proud of her grey hair. I love L-O-V-E my grey hair. I made a scrapbook page on the subject a few years ago, I love it so much.

I've worn glasses since I was 5 years old and one eye wasn't tracking properly (amblyopia/cross-eyes). I have a rather large gap between my teeth. It seems to be growing wider as I age, too, which is frustrating, but I understand the steps to fix it involve complicated surgery, which I have no interest in! My face beauty ritual consists of a once daily scrub with water. Sometimes I even use soap! Seriously...it's all my body needs in that arena, and so it's all I give my body. It probably helps that I don't wear make up or hair spray or anything that needs to be sanded off my face. When I do wear make up for the VERY occasional special occasion, I cannot wait to get it off my face. It feels greasy and grimy to me. And, yes, I have the "good" stuff that's matched to my skin type and color and whatnot. I still don't like it.

There are lots of things I cannot change ... and lots of things I can. I'd rather pour myself into the things I can change ... so let me respond with my own quote: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same results each time." I refuse to submit to insanity! Serenity now!

No comments: