Sunday, January 28, 2007

Slow down and just EAT!

Today's Quote from a Fancy Word for Simple:

The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook -- Julia Child.

I avoid "diet" foods, because they often taste terrible. They're not really REAL, just jammed full of substitutes to try and fix one problem, which creates another. Take low-fat Oreos for example -- just check out the carb content -- it's super high, to compensate for the lack of fat. And they taste like cardboard! I'd rather enjoy a single Lindt white chocolate truffle than a dozen low-fat Oreos. Now, there are some things like 1% milk, reduced fat shredded cheese, fat free yogurt, and diet soda, which I've consumed for so long, that their "regular" counterparts leave me feeling sick. My body is very confused about what's good for it. I often have to sit it down and say "Now, LOOK. Just eat one of those strawberries and then try to tell me you'd rather have a chocolate chip cookie." Because the reality is if it's a REALLY good strawberry, it's more than a match for your average chocolate chip cookie. There are also, however, some better-than-average chocolate chip cookies, which I will savor with my eyes closed...when I remember not to bolt it down, just because I'm busy, racing around accomplishing tasks. So, for me, I'd rather have "the real thing" AND I'd rather remember to SLOW DOWN! :)

2 comments:

Georgia said...

Great comment....from someone who has tried the no-fat, no-taste food, I totally agree.

Flapsi said...

Oh I know how you feel (from experience) my plan this year is just to concentrate on eating well - good food, lots of water, veggies etc and a little of good things rather than a lot of rubbish!